Saturday, October 13, 2012

Short Circuit

I think there has been a recent short circuiting in my child's brain.  She has always been a great listener and inherited her father's bat ears (as in acute, not pointy).  But recently her ears have not been picking up the frequency of my voice.  At first I thought it was a problem with her hearing and I even gave them a good cleaning with a Q-tip in case of wax build-up.  But her attention span is now measured in microseconds and every single thing I say has to be repeated several times.  Even if she's the one that asked me a question in the first place!

Esmé: Is it naptime or bedtime?
Me: It's bedtime.
E: Whatjasay? (startled that I had started talking, forgetting she asked me a question)
Me: Bedtime.
E: What mom?
Me: Bedtime.
E: Nextime?
Me: No, remember you asked me if it's bedtime or naptime? BEDtime!

Me: Please go tell Uncle Nick dinner is ready.
E: Whatjasay?
Me: Go tell Nick spaghetti is ready.
E: (Starts playing in a box.)
Me: Esmé, please tell Nick dinner is ready
E: Set the table?
(How does that even sound similar??)

My patience is thin and I've mostly resorted to hand gestures and one word sentences spoken very loudly.

No comments:

Post a Comment