Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Happy One Week Esmé!

Since Esmé is one week old today, I figured I should post some photos!


Some of you have been asking about my labour story, so that comes first. If you aren't interested, please skip ahead for the baby pics!


The Epic Labour


Monday: I began early labour at 2 am on Monday morning with contractions that met the “time to call the midwife” criteria. Kyle set up our home with all the supplies for our planned home birth. But when the sun rose, my contractions slowed drastically... false start I guess! They picked up again in the evening and we called my friend Amanda, our amazing labour and prayer support, who brought such a peaceful presence into our home. At midnight the midwives came over and told me that, even though my contractions were 4 min. apart, 1 min. long, I was only 2 cm dilated and still in early labour. Phshh.


Tuesday: After being up all night for the second night in a row, I was still only 2 cm by the morning. The midwives gave me an injection of Gravol so I could sleep and get up my energy again. I slept in between contractions while Kyle was constantly by my side, encouraged me to eat and drink, massaged my back and legs, and was the most supportive husband I could ask for. I really wanted to get things moving so I began climbing up and down the stairs, walking around our apartment in circles, doing one legged squats during each contraction, etc. Things felt like they got much more intense after all that so the midwives came over again. And... still only 2 cm! But the baby’s heart rate was quite high so we had to go into the hospital to monitor it for a while. Turns out she was just fine, so I went home again and spent a third night trying to sleep in between contractions.


Wednesday: I tried to relax as much as I could in the morning by sleeping in the bathtub while Kyle held my head and gave me fluids to drink. (At one point I saw poor Kyle sleeping with his head on the side of the tub while his hand was holding my head. What an amazing guy!) The midwives came by again in the afternoon and told me I now had pre-eclampsia (high blood pressure) and had to go into the hospital again. They said that since I was dilating so slowly we should start thinking about inducing. I really was against any interventions so I was quite disappointed by this news. But, once we got to the hospital, I had made progress and was 5 cm! So no interventions or drugs for me! By 6:15 pm I was fully dilated and delivered our beautiful daughter in just 45 min.




Kyle was so incredible during those three days. He never left my side, was always on his toes, anticipating what I might need, making sure I drank and ate and slept. I couldn’t have asked for a more amazing husband.

I also couldn’t have asked for a better team of midwives. They knew exactly what I needed, were so gentle and caring, and full of wisdom and experience. I felt so supported and encouraged during the whole labour.



And now introducing...


Esmé Sofiya Rideout

Born Oct. 7, 2009

6:57 pm

7 lbs. 15 oz.

55 cm (22.5 inches)


Just a few seconds old


Some skin to skin time.


Proud Papa


Esmé is giving a high five to the midwives, "We did it!"



Midwives Tracy and Andrea




First outfit to go home in.

Trying to figure out the car seat.




Wrapped in a towel after her first bath at home.

Proud first time grandma

Just as proud 10th time grandma.

Beautiful quilt hand made by Grandma Anne.

Uncle Kevin

Proud first time great-grandparents.



Kyle is so sleep deprived he's getting the baby confused with the cat...
More pics to come, sometime between changing diapers and feeding!

3 comments:

  1. Wow Eliza and Kyle! You are parents! Isn't it just amazing?! God is so good!
    Esmé is absolutely adorable.
    Eliza good for you for posting so soon after giving birth!
    Thanks for the update and beautiful pictures.
    Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome we are so glad you are all doing so well, she is so beautiful! I can't wait to see her again. Have you decided who she looks like yet? :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow...what a beautiful story and a beautiful baby!! We are so happy for you both. You're going to have tonnes of fun. We keep saying that our little Noah is at a fun age but then we are always saying that so we just realized that actually all the stages are great. Kisses and hugs to Esme from us!! Love, Charlene, Ben and Noah

    ReplyDelete