Saturday, January 5, 2013

Labour

The birth of my second sweet daughter was an amazing experience in so many ways.  It was a beautiful home birth surrounded by people who really cared for me: my midwives, my doula, my husband, and my daughter.  I felt so relaxed and comfortable.  I was blessed with a smooth labour, a natural birth, and a breathtaking baby girl.  (But of course it was still a lot of work!!)

I spent a day and a half of early labour with moderately intense contractions, listening to music, relaxing, and going for walks.  When hard labour kicked in it was relatively quick, only 4.5 hrs.  I mostly just hung out on the couch doing the labour groan.  Kyle set up a birth pool for me and when that was ready, I hopped in.  The warm water was so soothing, I just melted into it.  When used at the right time, water can speed up labour and relieve pain and tension.  It was not long after I stepped into the water that my body began to push.  After only 3 pushes, and to everyone's surprise, our baby made a sudden appearance in the pool, giving my midwife just barely enough time to come to my side and lift her out of the water!

Kyle was such a wonderful, loving support.  He spent so much time making sure everyone was taken care of, that I had enough to eat and drink, filling and emptying the birth pool, cleaning up, and caring for Esmé.  I think he learned a lot from our first labour and birth experience, which had left him pretty haggard.  He was definitely much more relaxed this time around (as was I) and knew what to expect.  He also made sure to take care of himself and it helped to have a doula to give an extra hand.  At one point he was even barbecuing chicken out on the deck for dinner!

One of the best things about my labour was having Esmé there with me.  She'd been anticipating the birth for several months and went with me to every midwife appointment, held the doppler as we listened to the baby's heartbeat, and gave my belly many hugs and kisses.  During the labour she was absolutely amazing and so excited to be there to welcome her little sister into the world.  She went back and forth between mimicking me during contractions to taking care of me in her sweet gentle way.  She is the most loving little girl and I am so proud of her.


Esmé mimicking me during a contraction.

Taking care of her mama in between contractions.

Putting a cold cloth on my back when I got too warm in the pool.

Our new family of four.

  Baby getting weighed by midwife Andrea... 8lbs even.

Midwife Candace doing a check up.

A moment of quiet with my newborn.

Big sister falling in love.

After all the excitement, it was a couple hours past Esmé's bedtime.  Kyle told her it was time for bed and she began to cry, "No! I don't want to leave my sister!"  So sweet.

3 comments:

  1. Esmé is the sweetest! This post made me cry such happy tears of joy for you and your family. I thank God that you have been blessed with each of them. They are precious.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a sweet post and amazing birth story. I completely agree with Sarah! Love to you and your precious family. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just love this post! Congratulations again!

    ReplyDelete